Saturday, May 26, 2007

The end is near!

To mangle Winston Churchill, this is not the end of the beginning. It is the beginning of the end.

Joey and Katie's last day of school was this past Thursday. Soccer, tae kwon do, guitar, and ballet have wrapped up. I finished my last bench memo for Judge B. yesterday. We've given notice to our landlord, and there's a "For Rent" sign out front. We're starting to kick around the logistics of moving back to Maryland.

And yesterday morning, halfway into the drive to Ellie's last day of school, I realized with a jolt that she and I had reached the very end of our daily ritual. Fifteen minutes a day, all by ourselves, where the girl and I could talk about life, sing songs, and just be with each other. Next year is going to be very different; she'll head off to kindergarten, and I'll be working long hours at the law firm.

What really stung was the thought that we may never get that kind of daily quality time ever again. Life doesn't lend itself to such things.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hi--been a long time but I catch up here and there. I just saw this and it really hit home. Sam's excited to have Ellie come back and that they'll go to Kindergarten together. When you guys get settled I hope we can get them together to get reacquainted. Its always easier to head into something new with a friend by your side. Kate

7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home