Sunday, April 22, 2007

Fargo 911!

I hit the road this afternoon for a training run – a short one, since Fargo's winter has defeated my dream of running the full Fargo marathon. The half should work fine. (Jen – the strong one – has not surprisingly powered through, and is on track to slay the full race on May 19.)

Since I don't have the nifty iPod + Nike training device Jen attaches to her shoe to track her mileage, I have to figure out other ways to do it. Jen suggested I drive the car away from the house half the distance I wanted to run, then run home and back.

Perhaps it was not the best way to celebrate Earth Day, but it worked. Mostly.

I has hoping to run 10 today and drove the truck just two and a half miles out, down the arrow-straight gravel road that shoots south just a block away from us. I pulled the truck over far into the shoulder, not near any of the few houses way out there.

The fields were brown and the sky was gray. But it was nicely cool and not too windy. My tiny iPod obligingly started my run well by picking some Tom Petty: "Well I started out /down a dirty road / Started out / all alone."

I felt okay for the first two-and-half-mile segment, great the second one back to the truck, and not quite okay the third one back to the house, where I succumbed to Jen's kind offer of a beer and a salami sandwich. Which was fine, except that the truck was stuck way out in the middle of nowhere.

Jen wanted to get a few miles in today, so she strapped on her shoes and headed out. When she arrived, she found this tied to a windshield wiper:

(For the record, I digitally removed the officer's number from the scan of the tag.) Man, these guys work quick! I think only three or four cars passed me the entire time I was on the road. Jen theorizes that the cops are out in force this prom weekend, and had our car been full of passed-out revelers, it probably wouldn't have been the first they found.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home