Saturday, November 25, 2006

BREAKING NEWS!

I don't know why the mainstream media hasn't made a bigger deal about this. Perhaps it's so obvious it doesn't even merit a mention.

But in case you're reading this from beyond our solar system, you should be totally alarmed to learn that while Earth's sun still seems to be providing light, it no longer provides any heat.

Yes, down from a record-breaking 62 degrees the other day, it was 17 degrees today at mid-morning when I went out to do my 4-mile run. Wind chill? Thanks for asking: 4. It was also 17/4 when I returned from the run almost an hour later.

Fortunately, I stocked up on cold-weather running gear just yesterday, and was ready. Here's what it takes to survive:

Head: A full hood and face mask, which did a marvelous job of keeping my lungs from being frostbitten. Atop that, a hat that comes down over the ears. (I didn't wear the jacket's hood while running – my blazing speed would of course tear it right off...)

Shoulders: Four layers (all black, naturally -- we're going to do this in style...): tee shirt, magic Patagonia foam long-sleeved shirt, knit long-sleeved shirt, outer shell.

Knees: Undershorts, long johns, with outer shell above. All black.

Toes: Barefoot, because shoes are for fancy Eastern city folk.

The gloves bear special mention:

They were super-warm, and notice the terrycloth along the thumb? That's to wipe your nose with. How thoughtful!

The only parts of me that were exposed were my eyeballs and the area immediately surrounding them. Those parts of me seemed to do just fine, but if it were much colder, I'd probably want to wear some sort of sunglasses or goggles.

I'm in miserable shape, so I can't say I was really enjoying myself, but as far as temperature goes, I was quite comfortable. As I was running, I was thinking, "OK, I could probably go another 20 degrees colder with this outfit on." When the time comes, I'll let you know if I was right.

The gloves, hat, and hood were the new purchases, and they ran about $25 apiece, for a total of $150 between me and Jen. Eeek! Jen didn't blink an eye when I brought them home, given her near-death running experience two weeks ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home