Tuesday, October 10, 2006

A year of Fargoing...

It's been a year since Fargoing's initial post.

Now we're here, and the business end of our stay in Fargo is beginning to present itself – the inch of snow we're expecting tonight makes that crystal clear.

On the phone with my mom the other night, I was talking about how much we're enjoying life here – the pace, the ability to really spend time with your family, ridiculously short commutes, all that good stuff. Now, staying here permanently is not possible – we have to go back to our house in Rockville, and Jen's office will want her back as soon as my clerkship is done. And of course we miss our family and friends dearly. And we miss Chick-fil-A.

To reassure Mom, I said, "We'll be back in Maryland next year..." but the thought suddenly hit me – and perhaps I should not have said this out loud: "...but I'm not sure we'll be happy."

Winter may cure me of this sentiment, but so far the quality of life here is very alluring. I might not want to be a teenybopper or a single twentysomething living here, but as thirtysomethings with a houseful of kids, Fargo suits me and Jen pretty damn well. It's not clear to me how the day-to-day of living in the Washington, D.C., metropolitan area is going to be an improvement. (Perhaps I should keep reminding myself that it's going to be 72 degrees in Rockville tomorrow...)

A year ago, the move West was forever away, we didn't own any winter clothes of note, and I had never heard of hotdish. Mashed-potato wrestling only existed in my dreams. This is Fargoing's 70th post in 365 days – hope you're enjoying it. Grab a cup of hot chocolate and gather by the computer screen for the next few months as the real adventure begins.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re places to live, and being happy with them -- since you brought it up, this may be one of the few times one could get away with saying this without sounding too, er, limp-wristed ... but I think (in fairness to Fargo, Rockville, DC, and other places yet unlived by you) being the kind of person you are, you'd probably be happy -- and welcome -- just about anywhere.

I'm sure that, had you gone in with a less positive attitude, Fargo might've found a way to give you the cold shoulder (perhaps by hiding all the hotdish?) but no: you went in blasting THM charm and uber-pwn3d tha muhfun place in short order.

I just hope you'll remain open to the notion of considering living in other locales -- as interesting as "Fargoing" already manages to be, I can't help but wonder what, say, a "Parisgoing" blog might be like ...

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home